Tuesday, December 2, 2008

C H. 0 0 5

005


And time felt like it froze for the longest time ever. It was all in slow mo as my mind tried to quickly articulate what exactly happened. Did MinShik just call me his baby?

Hit replay on slow mo please.

“Diiiidd annnyyyyyy onnnneeee hiiiiiitttt onnnnn myyyyyy bayyyyyy bieeeeeeeeeeeeee”

You have to be kidding me.

“Did you hang out with those kids who smoke again, MinShik?” I smacked him on the head, “You must be high or something to be calling me your baby if anything!”

It was the best thing I could think of. MinShik shot a glare at me as Risa and Changmin could only awkwardly smile. There was then a brief awkward silence.

“So um, cake anyone?” I tried to start up the conversation while taking the cake out of its box.

Changmin’s eyes seemed to glimmer and light up immediately as he saw the creation. He looked so freaking adorable, you had no idea. I never knew food could turn on a guy so much. I guess the phrase, “The way to win a guy’s heart is through his stomach” is correct in this case. Score for YooRim!

“Oh! Oh! Me! M—“ MinShik piped up as I stepped on his foot underneath the table.
“Shut up foo.” I mumbled, while offering the first slice to Changmin with a smile.
“Wahh! It’s so pretty and I bet it’s yummy! Risa and you made this? They make things like this here at school? In the classes?” He seemed to be speaking a mile a minute, I guess the sight of sugar got him hyper. So adorable…

I watched him eat his cake in a daze until MinShik nudged me over and glared at me again for the previous retort. What else was I supposed to do? I glanced over at Risa who had just finished her curry and rice. I, too, had finish eating my kimbap and opened up a bottle of water to drink. Changmin was happily eating most of the cake, and before we knew it, he had eaten it all.

“…I’m…I’m…So sorrryyy!” He exclaimed, “It was just so good and I kept eating...and eating…and eating!” He had the cutest look on his face.
“It’s alright! Calm down Changmin~” I laughed, “Risa and I create cakes and such every single day—“
And we work at the bakery in the town center! So, it’s no worries.” Risa winked at Changmin, hinting something with that first statement.
“You work there? I never knew! Those cakes look so delectable—and I know for sure they’re yummy because you guys made it, yeah?” Changmin marveled at us with his large eyes, only making me blush.
“Oh ha ha~ Yes, we do!” I smiled shyly.
“You should come by and visit after school.” Risa giggled, “I know that YooRim always gets bored at the counter…”
“Yeah and Risa always has fun in the back room with Jaejoong…” I remarked as she hit me on the head, “Ow! Unni! I was joking…”

Changmin laughed at our actions as MinShik stood idly bye. A hint of jealousy could be seen in his eyes as he mumbled incoherently to himself, “I wanted cake too. That’s not fair, noona always shared with me…”

Risa then sighed happily after beating on me for a bit and then reached over to her backpack. She fished inside the front pocket vigorously and a disgruntled face formed. This meant only one thing, unni had ran out of lollipops in her backpack, and she always liked her lollipop after lunch.

“Come with Unni now!” She commanded and immediately dragged me away.
“Aiyoo! You’re always so random with this you know?” I waved to Changmin and MinShik, “You two get along now~ I’ll be back! I hope…”

We walked over to Risa’s locker which was a while away from the cafeteria. Let me tell you a bit more about my best unni here. She’s probably one of the most sweetest, kindest, most popular girls in the school—and did so without even trying. She isn’t a cheerleader or even a part of the school government, but she does format the school’s web page along with being on the varsity tennis and volleyball teams and also being the most helpful person around the school who is somehow a part of almost every single club. I wish I were as well rounded as my unni. Anyways, the point of how awesome my unni is basically leads to the fact that all the boys want her. Risa’s milkshake totally brings all the boys to the yard— I need to not listen to American music….

I stepped to the side of her locker and watched her open it slowly. Immediately, a shower of candies flowed out of the cubbyhole as I watched Risa scan through the wave of sweets.

“Ramune candy…Soda candy…Apollo Chocolates…Eh? Why are there only Japanese candies today? Where are my Chupa Chups that always overpopulate my locker!” She stomped around, “I want my Chupas NAOOOOO!”
“Eh? No Chupas? Aren’t they normally ALL Chupas? Did the fan boys go crazy or something…?”
“Mou, I don’t know YooRim! But what am I going to do without Chupas!” She shook me back and forth while whining.
“Unni…you sound like a drug addict—but Chupas, not drugs…”
“Shut up!” She snapped, “Mou, no nyappy sticks” She sniffled while scooping up all the Japanese candies into a bag. She then threw it back into her locker and slammed it shut.

Digging in my pocket, I pulled out a Chupa Chup that she gave me earlier.

”Here unni. Hopefully this will last until the end of the day ne? We’ll drop by the candy store before work—Aigoo!”
“Thank you sweetie!” She giggled and hugged me tightly, “And eh? Aigoo?”
“I have detention today! Can you wait an extra 30 minutes…?”
“….”
“…I’ll buy you 10 extra Chupas.”
“Deal!” She smiled and plopped the lollipop I had just given her into her mouth. “I wonder why someone gave me Japanese candies though…So very odd…”
“Not many people know that your half Japanese, huh?”
“Nope~” She shook her head, “This is suspicious!”

We walked down the hall together since lunch was almost over, speculating about why the candies would be Japanese. Although it may sound like the oddest thing to wonder about, it’s true that Risa normally only gets Chupa Chups left in her locker. The hallway echoed as we felt this eerie presence around us, like we were being followed. We stopped and turned around to see no one.

“Unni…it feels…odd…”
“Ne…We should really go to class huh?”

I nodded as we parted our ways.

“I’ll see you after school, ne! Don’t go Chupa deprived on me~” I giggled as Risa smiled back.
“I’ll try! See you then ne~!” She smiled.
“Be careful too! There is something weird about today…”
“Ne!” She replied and continued walking away.

I sighed and leaned against the lockers for a while. Where should I go now? Lunch wasn’t exactly over until about five more minutes, and passing period was eight minutes—so loitering wouldn’t be much of a problem. I started walking out towards the garden area of the school. My class was in that direction anyways, so why not.

My fingers fell to my pockets and patted them slightly, I felt so empty without my cell phone. My shoulder strapped backpack swayed beside me as I quickly reached the garden and sat down on a bench. Pulling out my MP3 player, I looked through the songs and let out a heavy exhale. Why do so many songs have to be about love? I shoved the device back into my bag and looked up into the sky.

“I’m sorry,” I heard a loud whisper as someone’s breath pressed warmly against my ear. I snapped away in reflex and turned around to see him.

“It was a mistake.” His soft voice said as I looked at him with disgust.
“No, saying yes to you was a mistake.” I scoffed, “I’m going to class now.”

Turning around to leave, I was pulled back.

“Let go, Junsu. Of everything. You broke up with me, remember?”
“I didn’t mean it, I was really aggravated with everything else.”
“It sounded like you meant it, Junsu.”
“YooRim. Look at me.”

I couldn’t get myself to do it. I simply pulled my wrist away from him and walked away to class.

“…YooRim…I…I still love you…” He mumbled.

I wasn’t going to believe him. I couldn’t trust him anymore.

No comments: